Saturday

Flower Brooches for Mother's Day

Even in winter, the landscape where I live is dry and brown because, like many parts of Australia, the area around Yass has been in drought for the last six years.

To show that we care, the local churches have banded together for the last couple of years to give Mother's Day "pamper packs" to women living on drought-affected farms. My church contributed a range of delectable goodies, including quilted bags, face masks and chocolates.

I got together with my friends Deb and Beth to make 70 brooches from vintage and found fabrics and buttons. We spent a frantic few days cutting, sewing and gluing ,and the result was not just sore fingers ... I think our pretty pins will be delightful on jackets, scarves and bags, or even on cushions and curtains.

After our marathon effort, I made an extra two brooches — the one pinned to the denim jacket is for my mum, who adores red, and the one pinned to the scarf is for my mother-in-law.

Happy Mother's Day to my two "marmies".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The flower brooches for Mother's day are so cute and what a great gift.