Saturday

Graving in Redcliffe

"Christ and Child"

"The Floral Scarf"

Four cameras, a typed list of every charity shop between Yass and Brisbane, a couple of t-shirts and a second pair of jeans ... and my bag was packed for the 1,231 kilometre drive to see my brother-in-law and sister-in-law for Easter.

Garth and Kirrily are renovating a little worker's cottage in Redcliffe, a city actually half an hour north of Brisbane and the first city settlement in Queensland. While they tiled the kitchen floor, I wandered over to the local cemetery a few streets away, where I found these unusual headstones.

I love how the writing on the reverse of the prayer card shines through Christ's face ... and I've never seen anything before like the sculpture with the scarf of artificial flowers.

For the record, I'd like to point out that I also helped around the house, although my favourite activity was sipping tea on the balcony, overlooking the mango and macadmia trees in the garden.

No comments: