Tuesday

Pixel: Self Portrait

It's surprising that I've been so interested in self-portraits over the last year, given that most photographers, including myself, will do anything to avoid being in front of the camera.

I've done a bit of reading and apparently artists make self-portraits for a variety of reasons, including: self-promotion, emotional purging, the convenience of a free and willing model, or the opportunity to experiment with new techniques.

I think I fall into the last category — where I feel compelled to make others look attractive, I don't mind distorting my own image ... I'm happy to mask my identifying features with psuedo pixels and tattoos in order to take meaning to new levels.

I'm sure a psychologist would have fun with that!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

If i squint hard enough it looks as though you've had another haircut? Your SP's are interesting. Keep em up!

Horse Feathers Saddlery said...

Close ... I've had this pic sitting on the back burner for a while, so it's from a few months ago when my hair was really short!

Have you tried any self-portraits?