Wednesday

American Embassy: 4 July 2011

The storm clouds and hat-ripping wind may have promised a deluge, but Justin and I braved the queue at the US embassy, Canberra for this year's Independence Day celebrations. Naturally, I checked the embassy's camera policy beforehand and had my neat little Agfa Isoly 100 tucked in my handbag.

Goodness knows what the pros with their long-lenses and heavy digital bodies thought as I switched the exposure from the smiley face to the thunder cloud!

Despite the weather, the embassy's spacious back gardens of roses and lawn were crammed with people in black suits, open bars where the kids of diplomats served drinks and baseball practise nets for guests who fancied their sporting prowess.

Check out the embassy's Flickr page if you want to compare my images with the "official" ones ... you'd swear I was at a completely different event!


"Entry Check Point"

"Battling the Crowd"

"Loud Shirt at an Open Bar"

"Hitting the Major League"

"Bring in the Cavalry"

"Too Many Free Drinks"

"Popcorn Cart on Hollywood Boulevard"

 "Studio Backlot"


2 comments:

kerry mb said...

fantastic Kathleen!

Susan Stayer said...

These are fantastic images, Kathleen! They're so much more interesting than the "official" photos! The embassy should hire you to do the photography next year.